Cheap Wedding Gowns Online. To Buy, or Not To Buy?

That's the question.

A very important one!

Picture from Hui Lan Fang @ Taobao. This gown is soooo pretty!!

Hey guys! 

As titled. Today we will be talking about wedding gowns sold online!

There are soooo many kinds of gowns sold online nowadays. Just search 婚纱 on Taobao and you will be spoilt for choices! There are also sites like Aliexpress (who is under Alibaba who also owns Taobao), Wish.com and JJ's House etc.

Apart from the variety, gowns online are also very affordable. Almost dirt cheap at times. Which makes us worry about their quality...

So... are they really worth it? Let's check it out.


My Own Experience

As an avid Taobao shopper, of course I tried purchasing some gowns on Taobao. My experience though... I had mixed feelings about it.

I bought a white wedding gown and a coloured gown. Both through EZBuy Prime so my shipping was only $2.99. Without Prime, the shipping can get expensive as gowns are very heavy.

I got both gowns from Angel Gown. I can't find the original link to the white gown I ordered but it was rather similar to this:



I chose an off-shoulder as I thought it's the only type that will suit me. I wear a lot of off-shoulder tops and love how they look on me. I also did not like tube type sweet heart bodices as I thought they are soooo common. (But lol I end up choosing one for my wedding...)

And this was what I received:


I was alone and cannot tie up the back so I only draped it on and it was a very loose fit. Plus I think I ordered a size that is a tad too big for me. Also, I did not put on the petticoat under.



For $60, I must say that this dress had much better quality than I expected! Although the laces are not as exquisite as the expensive ones, they are still pretty!

Also, for only $60, you not just get the gown, but also a bow to clip on the back, a pair of white lace gloves, a simple veil, a petticoat and a pair of earrings! It was such a steal! 


The front and back of the bodice was very nicely done. Doesn't look like a cheap gown at all.


However...

As the size is too big for me, I would need to get it altered. And altering gowns with lace and beading is really expensive! The cost for the alteration can be easily twice the amount I paid for the gown.

Also, I realised an off-shoulder ballgown might not suit me like I expected it would. That was when I thought it's not worth it and gave up the idea...

I also got a coloured gown. This is what I got:

天使嫁衣梦幻森系超仙蓝色鱼尾敬酒服宴会婚纱晚礼服

Does it scream "Let it go~ Let it go~"? Hahaha.

I love blue and flowers so I was really attracted to this gown. This one was slightly more expensive at $90+. And this was what I received:


Not too bad... This gown was also a little big for me but as it was zipped up from the back, I could wear it on my own. And this gown was very comfy! I was only slightly disappointed because the blue was very pale and the layer outside is not white but pale grey. Well as you can see it still look very very similar to the picture from the shop.

The hubs and my bridesmaids said that it was too pale as an evening gown though, which I agree. We planned to wear it for sending the guests off but we did not have anytime to get changed.

But I still really like this gown and am planning to get the train shortened so I can wear it as a dress for dinners or other special events!

So... 

That was my experience. I can't say they were bad experiences as the gowns were not terrible. Many local gown rental places get their gowns from Taobao too. I must admit I bought mine on impulse so I made mistakes and ended up wasting my money...

I will say that gowns on Taobao are worth it if you buy from the right places. Of course there might be some of horrible quality. Just remember that there might be a reason if it's too cheap. Don't be too greedy!

Some tips...

1. Check the reviews! MUST DO THIS. Don't just read them but find those where buyers shared their photos and take close look at them! Don't take risks if unsure! No matter how cheap they are, they are still quite a sum if you add them up. 

2. Remember that alteration of gowns with exquisite designs are really pricey. They costs less on plain ones. So when ordering, be very sure and accurate of your body measurements. There are shops where they allow you to order gowns that are made to measure.

3. If you worry that guests might judge you on actual wedding day (but really, no one can tell), you can always get them for photoshoots instead. They will look great in photos.

4. Try out different types of gowns at bridal studios first. Order when you know what really suits you. Be open to try new things as you might be surprised! Don't make the same mistake as me.

5. If you see a gown on some other page and wonder if they are from Taobao, save the picture and do an image search on Taobao.

How to do image search on Taobao. You can do the same on mobile.

By the way...

The white gown is still with me. I was thinking of donating it so women from poor background can have it but in Singapore we don't seem to have a group that do this unlike in the western countries. If you know of a charity organisation that helps women and accepts gowns, do leave a comment/message!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Budget Brides Fall-in! Great Taobao Finds For Wedding!

Food Review: Ramen Kiou & Pittarino @ Jurong Point B1

Post-Wedding Review: The Gown Warehouse (TGW)